If you are having difficulty in chewing your food or experiencing severe pain in your ears, face or jaw then there is a chance of TMJ (Temporomandibular Joint). In this condition, you may suffer from a recurrent toothache, jaw pain or experience clicking or locking of your jaws. The condition is also referred to as TMD (Temporomandibular Disorders )
The temporomandibular joint is a movable joint that connects your jaw and skull. TMJ is present on both the side of your jaw. This joint helps you in moving your jaw up and down to facilitate chewing and talking. Inability to chew food, talk can make it a rough day for you.
Having recurrent headaches, jaw pain and grating sounds in the jaw is not a good sign. TMJ can be treated easily with the help of therapies and medications. In the process of TMJ treatment, medications include anti-inflammatory, analgesic, nerve pain killer drugs. Various therapies like stretching, physical therapy, acupuncture can be very helpful.
Physical therapy is the most recommended therapy for TMJ because of its excellent results.
Physical therapy is a non -surgical method used in TMJ treatment. It involves a number of exercises and movements that help in relieving your jaw pain and improving its movement.
Basic Causes Of TMJ
- Injuries to the jaw
- Injury to the muscles of your neck
- Head injuries
- If you constantly grind or clench your teeth
- Arthritis in your joints
- Tooth decay
- Presence of gum disease
- Sinus problem
- Poor posture
- Stress causing your facial and jaw muscles to tighten up and many other
- You may experience tenderness or pain in your face or jaw
- Jaw locking
- Swelling and unbearable pain
- Inability to chew food
- You may have trouble talking
- Pain in your neck or ear
- Sore jaw muscles
- You may face difficulty while opening your mouth
Home Remedies For TMJ Treatment
- Application of heat pack: Take a heated towel or hot water bag filled with warm water and place it on the affected area. The application of heat will reduce pain and improve functionality.
- Application of ice pack: Take an ice pack and place it on the affected area for a few minutes and relax. It will reduce inflammation and help in healing.
- Jaw exercises: Gentle and slow exercises can improve the movements of your jaw and reduce pain.
- Consumption of soft foods: Intake of soft foods or blended foods which do not require you to stretch your mouth will help you to recover.
- Practicing relaxation techniques: Relaxing the muscles of your jaws will reduce inflammation.
- Using splints: Oral splints can keep your jaw in the position and improve functionality.
Splint For TMJ Treatment
If you are suffering from TMJ or TMD due to disc displacement, then oral splints can be used. Splint for TMJ treatment is a commonly used method, splints are usually a piece of equipment used to keep an injured part in location. Splints help to eliminate muscle pain and improve the functionality of your jaws.
For TMJ treatment Richmond, visit RVA Physical Therapy