If you are sensing difficulty in movement, balance, and coordination of your body or shaking of limbs then there is a chance that you may be suffering from Parkinson’s disease. Dopamine is a chemical that is present in your nervous system and is responsible for important roles of the brain and body. When the nerve cells present in the brain get damaged, the dopamine level decreases and the central nervous system is affected. Thus resulting in the miscoordination of your muscles, stiffness, lack of movement and imbalance of the body. This condition is known as Parkinson’s disease.
The disorder is mostly observed in people around or above the age of 60. It usually starts with the trembling of one hand. The disease progresses with time and leads to difficulty in movement, talking, sleeping or behavioral problems.
It is recommended that Physical therapy is the best option for anti-Parkinson’s disease. You will be able to overcome the difficulties of movement and coordination with the help of physical therapy. Physical therapy involves exercises that help in physiological integration.
There Are Five Stages Of Parkinson’s Disease
- Stage 1: In stage 1 you may or may not experience any symptoms. It is called the mild stage of the disease.
- Stage 2: Here you may experience the primary symptoms such as trembling of one hand or stiffness. It is the moderate stage of the disease.
- Stage 3: In stage 3 you may not experience more symptoms but the existing symptoms may become more prominent. This is called the middle stage of the disease.
- Stage 4: In this stage, you will suffer from slow movement, stiffness, and other muscle-related problems.
- Stage 5: This is the severe stage of Parkinson’s disease, the symptoms may lead to the need for a wheelchair.
Common Reasons For Parkinson’s Disease Include
- Genes: There may be an occurrence of genetic mutation in your body which will affect your central nervous system.
- Environmental factors: You may encounter toxins present in the environment which cause damage to the nerve cells.
Parkinson’s Disease Symptoms
The symptoms are categorized based on the stages :
- Trembling or shaking
- Cramped handwriting
- Slow movement
- Smelling difficulties
- Emotional changes
- Swallowing problems
- Changes in blood pressure
- Complete inability to walk
- Cognitive disorder
Other Possible Symptoms
- Change in facial expression
- Urinary problems
- Poor balance
- Weight loss
- Skin Problems
Parkinson’s Disease Treatment
The treatment may include consumption of drugs, surgical methods known as Deep Brain Stimulation or therapies such as Physical, manual or occupational. Physical therapy includes various exercises that help you with voice disorders, balancing, tight muscles or rigidity, muscle coordination, reduction of pain, and improving mental conditions. The well-planned diet strategy and amplitude training can help you to recover from the ailment.
You can always visit RVA Physical Therapy for the best treatment for Parkinson’s disease in Richmond