The five advantages of undergoing aqua physical therapy are:
- Enhanced Muscle strength: The weakened muscle gets stronger when the patient moves it in an aquatic therapy which is 600-700 more resistive than air. Rapid movements are resisted by water so equipment with increased surface area is used to strengthen the muscles of the patient.
- Reduction in Pain: Warm water has the potential to increase the blood flow to sore muscles, thereby relaxing the muscles of the patient. With the relaxation of muscles, the patient will feel a reduction in pain to a great extent.
- Improvement in Balance: The water applies uniform pressure across the patients’ bodies which will improve their balance. It also provides buoyancy which will give them more time to react, so that they can make their moves without the fear of falling or getting hurt.
- Increased Flexibility of Joints: Buoyancy provided by the water will reduce the gravity which will aid in increasing the joints’ range of motion. As the body of the patient floats in the water, it will be easier and less painful to make a movement.
- A decrease in abnormal tone, spasticity, and rigidity: When the water is warm over the temperature of 92 degrees, with the help of proper hands-on technique a neutral warm is created. This warmth along with that of the water helps in the reduction of increased tone due to a neurological injury.
Aquatic therapy and Aqua running on underwater treadmills are some of the commonly prescribed aquatic therapies. It is of utmost importance to do these therapies under the guidance of an expert physician in a well-equipped facility. Our RVA Physical Therapy & Sports Rehab facility has state of the art endless pool that can provide you with the results you are looking for! Click here to know more.